Wednesday 17 March 2010

The Dreamy David Downton

I’ve had to remain calm after putting this post together as I didn’t want it to become flooded with hundred of paintings from in my opinion one of the great fashion illustrators; David Downton.

His work for projects including book covers, advertising and obviously fashion are for big names including M&S, Fenwick, Harper’s Bazaar, Chanel and like many of my featured artists Vogue.


The campaign which really interested me was crafting a collaboration with Oxfam and David Downton to produce a boutique style store front. This really intrigued me as my home town is full of charity shops which bring the aesthetics of the centre of town down making it look drab and dreary. I understand the great work that charities do and that their funding come from clothes sales, but I hope that others follow Oxfam’s trend. This image has been taken from an existing painting which can be seen on David’s website www.daviddownton.com

The first time I experienced David Downton was seeing the brochure for the The Golden Age of Couture exhibition at the V&A attended, the image reflects the beautiful gowns shown which the collection.

This is a fantastic book I would recommend to any lover of fashion illustrations, with full colour images and an amazing assortment of fashion through the ages a must have for your book shelf.


David’s illustrations including numerous celebrity sittings a recently addition is Julia Roberts for Lancome. Julia Roberts star of my favourite film (My Best Friend’s Wedding) looks radiant, fresh and fun. David captures his models that makes their splendour magnified to create a photo like quality that many profile artists struggle with.

This would have to be my favourite painting which I’m currently in the process of transcribing its palette is bold, crisp and expertly contrasted with the background. Love it!


Finally I couldn’t not leave without showing you the covers to celebrate Australian Vogue’s 50th Birthday, not just one but four lovely images of Cate Blanchett.

No comments:

Post a Comment