Sunday 7 March 2010

Anna Knights' Botanical Beauty


This bold contemporary artist provides detailed and an intimate insight into the botanical world, Anna Knights was the main subject for my A Level Art project and ever since I have been following her work.

Self taught artist grew up in West Sussex surrounded by the beauty of the English countryside, she takes a modern twist to the traditional art of botanical painting, using water colours to capture the delicate and perfection of nature.

All of Anna’s paintings I simply adore so I have choose a couple of my favourite to share, and also am very tempted of the offer of 12 greeting cards for £16 featured on her website www.annaknights.co.uk, now that’s the perfect gift! (tint tint)

This painting of the Stargazer Lily, was one that became a focal point within my own development and inspiration throughout my A Level project, having transcribed this print myself I appreciate the aspects which are so accurate and also aesthetically pleasing.

Anna Knights’ Red Pelargonium makes this simple flower appear to be structured and strong with the vibrate red against the white background up lifting it from the page. The use of this background is common in Anna’s paintings.

Another of my favourites purely because my best friends garden is full of these Alliums so this reminds me of her and enjoying a summer afternoon. Again the unusual positioning of the flower makes the subject interesting and realistic.

The Iris for me represents homage to tradition botanical illustration due to the fact that Meg Page’s famous iris paintings resemble drawings which would have been brought back from great exhibitions to new worlds, the first taste of these unknown flowers in a time when photography was yet to be invented.

I had to leave this painting last, one which I only discovered when research Anna again, but is my favourite flower, the blue bell meaning Delicacy and Humility, a constant reminder of the woodlands of Suffolk. (see previous post, Sufflok by Rhian Brighton)

No comments:

Post a Comment