Monday 8 February 2010

A Valentine's Card




With Valentine’s Day less than a week away, and the corporation conglomerates rubbing their marketing hands together, how should we really convey our passion for the one we love?

The dream of that perfect date, perfect gesture, and the perfect guy to sweep you off your feet, that head over heels love shown in every chick flick, Rom com movie (and boy I’ve seen them) In every shop, restaurant and every diary marked with little red hearts by the 14th shows that love is in the air this month, but how romantic are the guys in our lives?

I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart)

I am never without it (anywhere I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)

I fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet)

I want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant

and whatever a sun will always sing is you

Here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud

and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows

higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)

and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart


I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart)


E E Cummings

Over 1 billion valentines cards sent worldwide every year, but what does a card mean? After receiving an anonymous card this week I thought about the endless possibilities of this admirer but was left with the feeling of uneasiness, I wondered how romance had been altered into an out of the ordinary occurrence, I mean Romeo and Juliet got hitched in the space of 24 hours and their tale is considered the greatest love story ever told.

So when the meaning of the thought is what really counts, then how should these feelings really be expressed? in a unique way besides when E E Cumming is what men have to live up to and all any girl really wants and hopes for is something from the heart.

Valentine’s Day is that perfect opportunity to get personal, creative and romantic, the thought of those great long lost loves should inspire us to show that special person the art of writing how we truly feel. The penmanship of a captivating love letter speaks leaps and bounds and in turn bounds that love.... well at least for another year.

To all the hopeless romantics out there let’s pray whilst watching the stars from our balconies this decade is the one for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment