Friday 19 February 2010

The Girl behind the Painting


I’m have enjoyed writing about what really interested me for the last two months and have discovered the joy of blogging so far. Countless times I’ve tried to write about things that are current and news worthy, but I feel that most of my influence comes from things that have happened in the past. Also with being retro becoming so chic this is how I will continue.

It did although occur to me that I hadn’t really introduced myself, but instead the content of the blog. So I would like to start by saying “Hi!” and explaining why I had decided to use a painting instead of a photo for my profile.

Two words..... Rene Gruau

Rene Gruau (1909-2004) one of the greatest fashion illustrators ever to have lived and an ultimate favourite of mine. No one paints glamour and elegance like him, being commissioned for numerous vogue covers the legendary Gruau’s work embodies all that is the fashion world. I will write about Graua a lot in this blog so I won’t bore you for now.


The simplicity of this painting is what first attracted me to Gruau’s work. It shows the flirty but innocent figure surrounded by waves of flowery lines; the woman appears to be naked but the background creating a busy feel she doesn’t become explicit but feminine and mysterious. And my favourite element is all in black and white.

Seeing that I want to share the artists that mean and inspire me I won’t make it a habit of sharing my own work but as this painting is representing me, here is my transcription of this beautiful painting.


Ohh opps, my name is Danielle Higgins, 20 from Suffolk currently living in Leeds, enough from me until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment